Friday, October 17, 2014

What Dreams Are Made Of


This post is inspired by Halloween. The one night a year, you can be anything you want and no one will question you for it. 

Sometimes our dreams can seem so out of reach... and sometimes so unrealistic and out of focus and unattainable. But they are DREAMS. They can be simple, little things like learning how to do a back flip and showing off in front of your friends. (Okay confession: That was a dream of mine in middle school [think ninja style bad-ass-ery]). OR... It could be HUGE. It could define who you are. It could drive your choices and change your mind. But that's just it; Dreams are what you make them. They are entirely yours. This doesn't mean they can't be shared-of course they can! I honestly think they are better and even stronger when you can share them. I don't recommend sharing them freely with every Average Joe though (no offense Joe). Dreams need protection. Somewhere, sometime, the World starting seeking out to destroy dreams. It is really unfortunate.

If your dream has survived, much like my (true, non-ninja) dream has through the thick and thins of life and circumstance, it still doesn't guarantee it's success. Not all dreams are meant to come to fruition. I pray that mine does. Who doesn't? But sometimes dreams exist to drive you to what you may not have gone toward on your own. Sometimes they are there to help refine your character. Maybe your dream is to be a Superhero.... maybe this dream doesn't work out due to lack of radioactive spider bites and such but maybe, just maybe, you become a Police Officer, or Firefighter, or Medic etc. You could be someone's hero. And I, for one, think that's super. 

Most (if not all) dreams require work. And time. And patience. And perseverance. But when you finally get little glimpses of your dream coming true, it's priceless. It leaves you breathless and wanting more. It renews your fervor and increases your desire to succeed at what is such a big part of who you are. 

Let me be clear: I'm not talking about wishes or Genie in a Lamp stuff. I'm not talking about how nice it would be if everything I pinned on Pinterest.com would automatically just appear in my closet, in my size, and look incredible on me. That would be ah-freaking-mazeballs but it's not a dream. It's a wish.... and a mighty cool one. 

What I've found most frustrating in my dream-chasing adventure is that my dream is attained every day by those who do not possess it as a dream. To them, it is just merely a profession. A happenstance. A hobby in some cases. Some have my dream HANDED to them without them realizing they even wanted it! It's infuriating. And motivating. And sometimes disheartening because it can make my dream seem cheapened, make me feel out of control of getting there and made to look somewhat like a pipe dream. But guess what... I chase away because it's my dream and that's what I do. I chase dreams. 

I am so blessed. I have an incredible husband and a sweet pup that I love. I've had some pretty crazy and difficult times just like the next girl but I. Am. Blessed. Chasing my dream doesn't lessen how thankful I am for what I have. It is merely a bonus to this incredible life I am trying to live. So if you, like me, sometimes struggle at being stuck in the PROCESS stage of dream chasing... know that you are not alone and that Dreams are worth working, waiting, and fighting for. 


"A dream you dream alone is a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." -Ben and Jerry 


No comments:

Post a Comment