Thursday, January 28, 2016

2016 The Year of Change

It's not even February yet and my head is already spinning from everything that has happened this year. It's still January! Gary is settled in down in Georgia and plugging away at his studies, although I'm pretty sure he's bored out of his mind. That being said, I am on my own again. I got back to work the first work week in January and started the year off by playing catch up on 2 weeks worth of missed work from our drive to GA, training my replacement (you know, 8 months before I actually leave), end of the year tasks, beginning of the year tasks, beginning of the month tasks, and end of the month tasks... all while trying to keep up on my current work which was streaming in each time I pressed refresh on my email. After a week and a half, my boss decided she didn't want to pay two people to essentially do the same job and that training was no longer necessary. This meant that I was cut out of getting paid for 3 weeks of hourly pay. No worries, I still have a job, I'm just working from home sooner than I thought. Bad idea. First day from home and I panicked. I can't do this! I needed structure and I felt like nothing I did mattered. I was basically full-time on-call and THAT was not okay. I moved to being paid per-transaction so this was going to work out to being less than minimum wage at the rate in which I was working. In my panic, I got myself a 4th job (with the assistance of an amazing friend- you know who you are). Yep. 4. Because I'm crazy. Of course as soon as I accepted this job, I ended up getting requests from my agent for acting and then booked the next weekend with promo work. What am I doing with my life? I will say the new job, although not even close to glamorous, fulfilled my deep need for structure and is perfect in the sense that once I clock out- I can completely forget about everything work-related. It is kind of sad that I actually WANT someone to hold me accountable to when I show up and what I do while I'm there, but it's the truth. The following weekend, I'm exhausted and feeling ridiculously (and rightfully) overwhelmed with my schedule, and underwhelmed with my life, and I receive 2 emails from my college professors for the upcoming quarter. Guess what? Classes started in 2 days! Where did my January go? I called Gary to see what his opinion on my insanity was and basically just word vomited all over him. The next morning I called my boss of 3 years and told her I couldn't do it. There was just too much adjustment involved with too little pay for the amount of work- and I now had a job that had a guaranteed paycheck. She completely understood (she'd witnessed my insanity first-hand). I'm still transitioning out of that job (it's not a rip-the-Bandaid type situation), working the new (warehouse) job 3 days a week, in school full time, and helping wherever I can on the kitchen remodel. Tuesday and today, I got up at 4:30 to run with Rylee, we did 5 miles each day. It was dumping rain today so I gave her a shower, showered myself, snuggled, hung the blinds in the front windows (sorry creepers!), primered every wall in the kitchen, ordered a pizza and stalled on the phone to Gary before writing my first paper for English 102. *fingers crossed that I did what I was supposed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment